Lawful Permanent Resident is a status that allows residents to remain permanently in the United States. It is also referred to as having a green card or being a green card holder. The process to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or green card holder can be done through:
- Adjustment of Status – if the foreign national is located inside the U.S.
- Consular Processing – if the foreign national is located outside the U.S. or is not eligible for adjustment of status.
Becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident
There are several ways a person may become a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or a green card holder. Please see the following sections to see the different ways a person may become eligible to become an LPR:
- Immigration through employment
- Immigration through a family member
- Immigration through Refugee/Asylum/TPS
- Immigration through adjustment of status
- Immigration through the diversity lottery