Common Types of Nonimmigrant Visas

Visitor Visa: A visitor’s visa can be issued for temporary business, tourism, pleasure, medical treatment, participation in social events or a combination of both business and pleasure.

Fiancé(e) And Spousal Visa: A visa category exists which allows a nonimmigrant fiancé or spouse (and children) to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marrying within 90 days of entering the U.S. There are several requirements which much first be met to be eligible for a fiancé’ visa. See webpage for fiancé visas.

Exchange Visitor Visas: There are two categories of nonimmigrant visas which allow foreign nationals to participate in exchange visitor programs. A J visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State. The Q visa is for cultural exchange programs designated by USCIS.

Temporary Work Visas: An employer may wish to hire a foreign national to perform temporary work or labor services, or for training may seek a nonimmigrant visa for these purposes. In most cases, workers who come to the U.S. on a nonimmigrant work visa must leave the U.S. when their period of stay has been reached. In some circumstances, an extension of stay or change of status may be granted.

Student Visa: There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the U.S. One which allows nonimmigrant the ability to pursue academic studies or language training programs and the other to pursue nonacademic or vocational studies.